With today’s high-tech jobs and online schooling, many adults and children spend a lot of their day gazing into computers or staring down at their smartphones. The muscles around the neck joints will become tired and overstretched. Driving for long periods of time can also have the same effect. Eventually, day after day of these postures, you will eventually end up with displaced neck joints, shoulder tightness, pain, and discomfort.
This leads you to the question, “What is the fastest way to relieve neck pain?” Of course, consulting a neck chiropractor for treatment is the best option to obtain pain relief, combining stretching and manipulation. In addition, here are some things you can do easily in your home:
- Ice and heat applied to the painful area will help reduce pain and inflammation--ice for the first 48 to 72 hours, then heat.
- Over-the-counter pain relievers such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen will reduce pain and inflammation. However, if pain persists, you should seek the help of a neck chiropractor.
- Avoid activities that cause pain, but try to keep moving to calm symptoms and reduce inflammation.
- Gently stretch the neck muscles with slow range-of-motion exercise, such as moving up and down, side to side, ear to ear.
- Gently massage sore or painful areas.
- Try sleeping on a firm mattress without a pillow or with a special neck pillow.
- Use a neck collar to relieve discomfort and prevent painful movement. However, avoid prolonged use to prevent the weakening of the neck muscles.
Because the entire body is interconnected, most neck pain sufferers don’t just have neck pain, but the shoulder, upper and lower back, upper neck, and even your skull may be impacted. Your chiropractor will evaluate your condition and develop a customized treatment plan to stabilize your neck and spine. Some forms of chiropractic treatment for neck pain may include neck adjustment or spinal manipulation techniques. Your chiropractor may also recommend manual joint stretching and resistance techniques, trigger point therapy, or therapeutic massage.
If you’re wondering what is the fastest way to relieve neck pain, call McKim Chiropractic today for more information and to schedule an appointment with a neck chiropractor. Our licensed and certified staff is committed to helping the residents of Nampa, ID, and Caldwell, ID, achieve health wholeness!