Many people suffer from shoulder pain at some point in their life, a common complaint with various causes. Just as with all other painful conditions, the quicker you receive the appropriate care, the quicker the pain will go away. This means you can get back to your normal daily activities and prevent your pain from becoming a chronic problem.
So what is the main cause of shoulder pain? The most common cause of shoulder pain is rotator cuff tendinitis or bursitis, a condition when rotator cuff tendons become trapped under the bony area in the shoulder, becoming inflamed or damaged.
Other common causes of shoulder pain are:
- Arthritis in the shoulder joint
- Bone spurs in the shoulder area
- Broken shoulder bone
- Dislocation of the shoulder
- Frozen shoulder, (the muscles, tendons, and ligaments inside the shoulder become stiff)
- Overuse or injury of nearby tendons, such as the bicep muscles of the arms
- Poor shoulder posture
Because the treatment for shoulder pain depends on the cause, it is important for your shoulder chiropractor to diagnose the root cause of the problem before prescribing treatment. Here are some of the types of treatment that may be prescribed for your unique situation:
- Rest: Resting the joint allows inflammation to subside.
- Ice and Heat Application: Your chiropractor can advise how and when to apply ice vs. heat.
- Stretching and Exercise: Stretching and rehabilitation exercises of the muscles and tendons surrounding the joint can help with the cause of your pain.
- Anti-Inflammatory Medication: Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory pain medications are commonly prescribed, especially with shoulder pain caused by arthritis, bursitis, and tendonitis. If you are experiencing negative side effects, ask your chiropractor about natural alternatives.
- Cortisone injections: Cortisone treats inflammation, a common problem with shoulder pain, and should be used only to complement chiropractic treatment.
Remember: If you have pain in your shoulder that lasts for more than a few days, seek chiropractic care with a specialized shoulder chiropractor.
For more information about shoulder pain that is holding you back from your daily activities, schedule an appointment with a specialized shoulder chiropractor at McKim Chiropractic. Our licensed and certified staff is committed to helping the families of Nampa, ID, and Caldwell, ID, live life pain-free!