Chiropractors use many different types of therapies besides spinal manipulation to treat neck and back pain. Like other types of spine specialists, doctors of chiropractic (DC) perform a thorough physical and neurological evaluation of the patient to diagnose the cause of spine-related pain. This is essential to the patient's chiropractic treatment plan.
In addition to the spine adjustment that is most common, chiropractors use a variety of other treatments, or a combination, to help the body heal itself and return the patient to a pain-free and healthy life. Some of these treatments may include:
- Therapeutic Exercise -- These exercises are designed to help decrease pain, prevent muscle deterioration, promote joint health, increase strength, stability, and range of motion, and protect against new or recurring injury.
- Therapeutic Stretches -- Following an injury, therapeutic stretching is an important way to prevent scar tissue from forming. Maintaining a regular stretching program helps keep tissues flexible, increases mobility, and protects you from new injuries.
- Spinal Traction -- With the use of a traction device, this treatment helps to gently separate the vertebrae resulting in disc decompression, reduced nerve root pressure, and less pain.
- Massage Therapy -- The benefits of massage therapy include relief of stress, improved flexibility, alleviates headaches, strengthens the immune system and helps manage chronic pain
- Transcutaneous Electric Nerve Stimulation (TENS) -- A TENS unit is a small battery-powered, portable muscle stimulation machine used to help control pain and is recommended to help patients get through periods of severe (acute) pain.
- Ultrasound -- When applied to soft tissues and joints, the sound waves are a form of micro-massage that help reduces swelling, increase blood flow, and decrease pain, stiffness, and muscle spasms.
- Ice and Heat Therapy -- Ice therapy is used to reduce swelling and help control pain immediately after an injury. Heat therapy is used to relax the muscles, increase circulation, and provide relief to patients with chronic pain.
- Diet and Nutrition Counseling -- It is a fact that poor diet and nutritional imbalances can contribute to several serious illnesses, such as heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and cancer. A nutritional program designed to meet your specific needs can help you maintain good health and minimize the risk of developing serious health conditions.
Wondering what treatments do chiropractors use? Call McKim Chiropractic clinic for more information about the various forms of chiropractic treatment and to schedule an appointment with a certified and caring chiropractor. Our licensed and certified staff is committed to helping the residents of Boise, ID, Nampa, ID, and Caldwell, ID achieve a pain-free life!