If you have experienced acute back pain, you may have found that it will get better with a few weeks of home treatment. However, for many people, the pain does not go away but only get worse with the passing of time. They may try to mask it with medications such as inflammatories, muscle relaxants, topical pain relievers, narcotics, antidepressants, and even injections, but they only dull the pain for a short time.
What is the best way to relieve lower back pain? Here are a few remedies that
- Activity -- If possible, continue your daily activities as much as you can tolerate. Stop any activity that increases pain, but don't avoid it out of fear of pain.
- Research -- This might involve a class, a talk with your doctor, written material or a video. Education emphasizes the importance of staying active, reducing stress and worry, and learning ways to avoid future injury.
- Physical therapy and exercise -- A physical therapist may use a variety of treatments, such as heat, ultrasound, electrical stimulation, and muscle release techniques, as well as teach exercises to increase your flexibility, strengthen your back and abdominal muscles, and improve your posture.
- Surgery -- Few people need surgery for back pain. Surgery usually is reserved for pain related to structural problems, such as narrowing of the spine (spinal stenosis) or a herniated disk, that hasn't responded to other therapy.
- Alternative medicine -- This includes chiropractic care, transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS), massage, and Yoga.
Wondering what is the best way to relieve lower back pain? A team of doctors at McKim Chiropractic has developed the DRS Protocol™, an innovative spinal decompression therapy which relieves low back pain associated with spinal and disc problems. The treatment has helped many patients rediscover a pain-free life without traditional surgery and medications, with the added benefit of a quick recovery process!
Call McKim Chiropractic for more information about low back pain treatments. Our licensed and certified staff is happy to help the residents of Boise, ID, Nampa, ID, and Caldwell, ID restored to a pain-free life. Help maybe just a call away.