Spinal decompression therapy aims to relieve back pain by gently stretching the spine to reduce pressure on nerves, discs, and joints. While discomfort during the procedure varies from patient to patient, the treatment itself involves lying on a specialized table for short sessions so is not extremely painful. However, some patients do report mild soreness or aching afterward as the spine adjusts. Here are 5 key benefits of spinal decompression therapy for back pain relief.
- Reduces Disc Herniations: Spinal decompression gently pulls and stretches the spine to allow bulging or herniated discs to retract back into place. This takes the pressure off the nerve roots and surrounding tissue to alleviate inflammation and pain. Over a series of treatments, decompression has been shown to reduce the size of disc herniations in many patients.
- Relieves Sciatica: Sciatica occurs when inflammation or compression of the sciatic nerve causes tingling, numbness or sharp pains down the legs. Spinal decompression helps create more space around the nerve by stretching the spine. This gives the swollen nerve more room which reduces irritation.
- Improves Mobility: By removing pressure from compressed joints and nerves in the spine, Spine Decompression Therapy allows patients to regain lost flexibility and mobility. Treatment plans allow inflamed joints, tendons, and muscles to heal so patients experience less pain with movement.
- Non-Invasive with Little Risk: Spinal decompression is non-surgical and non-invasive making it an extremely safe treatment option. The gentle calibrated pulling on the spine has little risk compared to more invasive back surgeries. There are also no injections needed so patients avoid medications or adverse reactions.
- Effective Long-Term Solution: While pain relief may occur quickly within the first few sessions, spinal decompression is extremely effective as a long-term solution. By healing damaged structures instead of just masking pain, results last much longer than other treatments. Many patients remain pain-free for years after completing their full Spine Decompression Therapy protocol.
Some people wonder, “What are the Benefits of Spinal Decompression Therapy for Back Pain Relief?” Call McKim Chiropractic for more information about spine decompression therapy and to schedule a consultation with a licensed and certified chiropractor. Our licensed and certified staff at McKim Chiropractic is committed to helping the families of Nampa, ID live life pain-free!