The most common cause of lower back pain is a torn or pulled muscle and/or ligament that can occur while performing a variety of activities. Sprains affect the ligaments and strains affect the muscles, both caused when over-stretching and tearing of the ligament or muscle. Sprains and strains do not typically cause long-lasting pain, but acute pain can be quite severe.
What is the most common reason for lower back pain?
- Twisting the spine while lifting, or lifting too heavy of an object
- A sudden movement, such as a fall, places too much stress on the low back
- Continual poor posture over time
- Sports injuries, especially involving twisting or large forces of impact
- Disc problems—herniated, degenerative
- Joint dysfunction
- Trauma, such as fractures
- Diseases, such as osteoarthritis
- Spinal stenosis or deformity of the spine
Pain from some of the conditions above (such as osteoarthritis or spinal stenosis) can become chronic. This means that it is ongoing for longer than three months and exceeds the capabilities of the body to heal itself.
Many patients report an improvement in their level of pain after just one week of starting chiropractic treatment or spinal decompression. Following another four to six weeks of treatment, patients report that their back pain has completely disappeared. Monthly follow-up visits to the chiropractor will keep the patient’s spine in alignment and help prevent the reoccurrence of their back pain.
If you have more questions about what is the most common reason for lower back pain, call our office today and talk to a chiropractor about your concerns. Our chiropractors offer the DRS Protocol™, a non-surgical spinal decompression therapy to relieve back pain associated with spinal and disc problems. Our licensed and certified staff is committed to helping the residents of Nampa, ID, and Caldwell, ID, achieve their optimum level of health wholeness!